Monday 13 April 2009

THE SCIENTIST'S SHELF








At one point Toby's house just so happens to be tiny, you know cos a clumsy scientist shrinks it. Can happen so don't scoff. Anyway, in my head it seemed simple so I lined up my maquette to use and printed it off.

The resulting picture would probably look fine if it was drawn up and finished off proper, but to me it looked like some of the others before, it was too boring. So I went back to the maquette and got myself a lovely angle and printed it off.

The illustration you see bottom left of the group of four looks ok at first. Nice angle! I hear you cry, but then WEIRD ANGLES I hear you cry as you realise my perspective is shot to sherbert. I know, awful aren't I? Naughty. So the maquette found some shelves and brackets being added to it, plus a flask and a 'Little Shop of Horrors' plant to the bargain.

The final illustration hopefully does all the prep and false starts justice. As you can see there's a lot of junk on them there shelves. It's quite hard and time consuming coming up with shelf contents for a scientist. As you can see by a small selection of my reference pictures [taken in the science museum] it helps to have reference! Also notice the note at the back of the house, it has a formula on it? Well that's from this source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/4468884.stm


click on the image to see the large version

No comments: